The Bystander Effect


_________________________________________________________________________________
The Bystander Effect is a psychological term that refers to the phenomenon in which the greater the number of people present in an emergency, the less likely people are to help a person in distress.  They standby and expect someone else to go and help.  All the while, others are doing the same and no one helps the person in distress.

I stood on the brink of a flooded river, the waters warned of their coming doom, creeping close to me with each passing moment; they well surpassed the bank and boundary lines. The threat of a flash flood was imminent.  My friends and I had just finished securing the property and house with wood and sand bags to the best of our ability. We stood looking at the waters about to turn inside and close ourselves in with prayers that we and our homes would survive the flood.

Just as we turned to go inside, through the fog we could see a car floating towards us, the car was trunk down in the water sinking, and half was above the water.  The water was rising quickly, moving in deeper under water.  As we watched, we could see a man in the driver’s seat, and woman in the passenger seat. We could see children in the backseat.  The water was already filling the car, and they were half way under. Panic filled their faces. They were about to drown.

As we looked, my friend pointed out through the dense fog that there were more cars; not just one, but many cars floating down the river. They were all going to drown without help.  Many of my friends saw this and in terror began to run for their homes to shut themselves in. The fear of the imminent flood and the reality of death were too much for them. They couldn’t stay to help. Others of us ran to the aid of the first car, now mostly underwater. All that remained visible was the roof of the car. In our hearts we knew timing was everything. If we didn’t get them out soon, they would be all be dead. 

And suddenly I awoke from this dream. I awoke, but it was real and tangible. I could feel it, and I knew with the clarity I could remember and feel it there was something to learn. Immediately, I could hear the Father speaking to me.

“Not all are willing to help even though they see the need.”

“All will stand before the judgment seat of Chri$t some day. Yourself included. What will you choose to do?"

“You can’t save anyone in and of yourself; the job is too great. The danger is real. The imminent death of so many lives is real. But I call you to seek and save the lost.  I don’t call you to be a bystander. I call you to take hold of faith, MY FAITH, and to walk in MY power and boldly go to those dying even when no one else is willing to go.”

“Don’t give into the bystander effect. Don’t give into fear.”

“The lie is: they (the people drowning) are too far gone; they are in too deep; they can’t be saved.  The fear is: you will die trying to help.  The truth is: there is no chance of survival, if someone isn’t willing to help.”

I feel this warning dream strongly and deeply.  As I look at the world, I wonder what is coming in end times. I wonder what choices I will be forced to make.  I wonder how many other bystanders will be standing near me.

This week, a friend told me she no longer wants to visit a village with me that we have been visiting since February.  We have been seeing relationships with the people there grow, but it’s slow moving. The trek to the village means long and tiresome days. It literally takes the entire daylight hours to trek down to this village, spend only a few hours with them, and then trek back up the mountain. We are exhausted and worn by the time we return from the village.  The relationships are growing and each week I feel we are seeing forward progress in the openness to the Good News, but at the same time no one is choosing this truth for themselves or their family.  I see this village as the imminent flood. I see my friend as the one to turn and go inside. I feel the urgency of the Father’s heart to keep going to this village, to keep checking the “cars” for bodies and checking the bodies for life.  I can’t save them, but He can!  He calls me to join HIM, in His power, might, and boldness as He seeks and saves the lost.


I believe He is calling to many of us to join him, to not be a bystander; but to join him and see and save the lost. Pray with me for bold harvesters here in India and around the world that would see the need, but also see the empowerment of the Ho1y $pirit for the job at hand, and make the choice to NOT be a bystander.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bhindi or “Tikka” Mark on the Head- What is it?

But God...

The ugliness I sometimes see