Lessons from the Lounge Chair #1

This medical leave has been more than just a time of recuperation on a medical level. It’s been a time of deep learning and insight and an infilling of wisdom from God. While these aren’t amazing stories of God’s work on the “field of India”, allow me share the amazing stories of God’s work on the field of my heart.

Since arriving home there have been many family members and friends who have lost loved ones to death or are awaiting the death of close loved ones. Most of them have lost these loved ones suddenly. One found out they had a brain tumor and 3 weeks later died. One had a baby and 10 weeks later committed suicide. One was diagnosed with cancer and days later passed away. One is awaiting death as I type.

Although my own situation pales in comparison to these great losses and suffering, it along with these other deaths has reminded me of the frailty of human life, the frailty of the things we take for granted on a very regular basis. Things like walking, talking, working, loving people are things we don’t often thank God for and realize are a gift. While we might thank God for things like a stable job, financial income, and our homes, we at times we forget how in a moment they can be taken away. Things like safety and good medical care are things we just assume will be there.

I realize life is truly fleeting. This world holds no promise of tomorrow. My security and health, my very life, have no say in how long they will last.  While laying in bed thinking I was having a heart attack one day in India, I remember thinking if I die today, what would I regret? What would I do with just one more day? It was mostly things like tell so and so I love them; linger a little longer with so and so and not rush so much; be present in the moment with so and so and make sure they know they are loved; but also things like be bolder with the auntie I have been talking to and be sure she knows there is only one god and no other; be sure to tell them JC loves them every time I see them; be bold because it might be the last day.


My days are numbered. I knew that before, but the last month has been a vivid reminder of that. While I have realized life is fleeting and making the most of today is of utter importance, I have also realized the hope we have in heaven. There truly is no fear in death, when Jesus is what awaits me.  As I recognize this, I pray I can help my Indian friends, my own family members, and friends learn this reality in a deeper way. I pray they won’t have to experience loss and death or sickness or suffering to understand the frailty of life, but I pray they would grasp the shaking reality of their numbered days. I pray they, along with me, would turn to gratitude for all they do have, and be stirred with me to make the most of today, a bolder and more loving day.  I shared these thoughts and what God is showing me with my friend “E” in India via text messages today. Pray with me that E would come to know her need for JC and the hope we have in Him not only in this world, but also in the world to come. Pray for her husband “R” to be softened to hear and receive the love of JC and boldly walk after Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bhindi or “Tikka” Mark on the Head- What is it?

But God...

The ugliness I sometimes see