Doors



I love doors. I always have. Recently while at a conference I got to explore old Budapest and see many doors.  I found myself taking pictures of many of them, and as I did the Father began to unfold an illustration in my head.

When we see doors, especially with locks and chains or worn down, old and haggard, we are quick to turn away thinking they are closed.  Maybe we look at them as work, and think we don’t have time to try to open that door and see what lies behind it.

I was reminded that the Father opens doors no man can shut, and shuts doors no man can open.  It made me question, how many times do I see a door and think of it as shut and walk away or give up, when the Father is desiring to open it.  In the same sense, when are there open doors that He is saying, “enough is enough, I want this door closed!” and I have missed the opportunity.

Often times the door isn’t just open.  You have to knock. We have to seek it out, and seek it intentionally.



Luke 11:5-13 talks of the man who went knocking on his neighbor’s door at night, asking for bread for his guest.  This story always seems strange to me until I moved to India.  In America, it seems we have all we need, we don’t often ask our neighbors for anything and if we do we feel bad for asking.  And G*d forbid someone came knocking at the door at midnight, we probably would hide beneath the covers and pretend we didn’t hear the knocking, claiming our health needs our precious sleep. 

Here when someone comes to visit, if you don’t have when you need, you run to your neighbor’s house and you borrow it without hesitation or regret.  You do anything you need to do welcome and host your guests with the best hospitality possible, even at midnight. Here it is a common occurrence to borrow milk or sugar or cups or money to pay for what is needed to quickly put on a spread for unexpected guests.

I think as the occasions come, one also learns whose door they can knock on.  Who is open and courteous?  Who is helpful and caring? Sometimes we have to be intentional whose door we are knocking upon.  The verses go on in the story to say the neighbor told the man to go away; he couldn’t help him.  But the man kept knocking kept asking. He was persistent. And as to not ruin his reputation the neighbor finally opened the door and helped the man. The Word prompts us to keep on asking, keep on knocking, ask and we will receive.  Everyone who seeks, finds, and everyone who knocks, the door will be opened to.

Persistence and intentionality.


Father, what are you doing in this moment? Which door are you asking me to knock upon?  I have to watch for the doors the Father is pointing out to me: the moments in time; the seconds with a person passing me by on the street; the time with my driver in the car; the voice of the Spirit during intercession leading me to ask specific things over the community and families. These are moments that must be intentionally sought after.

Maybe it’s the counselor in me, but I think what if just beyond that closed door was a starving child, or a women kept in captivity.  Wouldn’t it be worth breaking down the door?  Wouldn’t it be worth knocking and knocking until you were able to see it opened?

The reality is behind the closed doors there are starving people; people malnourished and starving without the adequate food and nourishment that comes from the Father.  There are people stuck in captivity that don’t even know freedom exists outside the closed doors. When I think of the closed doors with this mentality, it gives me the gumption and motivation to keep on asking, keep on knocking.

Doors from behind my house here in India
Desperate times call for desperate measures. When the lame man had an opportunity to see Je*us and be healed, his friends didn’t give up the chance when they saw long lines and a crowded room. They made a way.  They cut a hole in the roof and let Him down before the feet of Je*us.  I can hear the Father whisper to my heart today, “What are you willing to do to open up prison gates, closed doors, and set the captives free?”

I need to be proactive, persistent and intentional.

Father, lead me I pr*y!


Rev 3:20- Here I am. I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person and they with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bhindi or “Tikka” Mark on the Head- What is it?

But God...

The ugliness I sometimes see