Constancy and Learning Faith from a Hin*u

(A Hin*u holy man, or sadhu, smokes marijuana in a chillum on the premises of a Temple. Hin*u holy men from Nepal and India come to this temple to take part in the Maha Shivaratri festival annually for holiday when it is legal to smoke the otherwise illegal drug. Celebrated by Hin*u devotees all over the world, Shivaratri is dedicated to L*rd $hiva, and holy men mark the occasion by praying, smoking marijuana or smearing their bodies with ashes. Photo Credit: Anonymous)

This week we have fully entered into the Hind*u festival season.  It seems as though there is constantly a festival or holiday.  And with 330 million g*ds, of course there are not enough days in a year to celebrate them all.  As I type, the drums are pounding again, and the music is blaring just outside my door.  The valley and mountain around my house creates a lovely echo and bass for the sound waves.  Tonight, I am thanking G*d for a sound machine app on my iPhone.  We just finished what is known as Shraddh which is a month long time to honor the dead and offer special pooja’s or sacrifices each day on their behalf. Today, marks the first day of Nuratra, a 9 day long holiday to celebrate the Mother of all gods known as Durga.  Each day the Hin*u’s wake early, prepare special foods, and offer extra prayers and pooja’s for Durga.  October 22 marks another special festival known as Dashara, this is when the Hin*u’s believe that the god “Ram” defeated and killed the devil, “Raven” in the forest. Diwali is another holiday that follows all these.

These are all important festivals that require the attention of the followers. It requires time, and fasting, and hours of worship and special preparations.  Recently, there was a 3 day pooja, where people worshiped for 3 days straight and many stayed up throughout the entire night worshiping. It’s amazing to see the faithfulness of the Hin*u people.  They are truly a people of deep faith- persistent and willing to set themselves apart.  They are constant in their pursuit and unceasing in their praise.  Time, money, and energy are sacrificed willingly in honor of their g*ds.  They have a reverent and awesome fear of their g*ds.  

I watch the Hin*u’s and hear their tales of g*ds and am reminded of my own faith, which is at times weak and far from the constant unceasing faith the Hin*u’s seem to possess.  I am reminded they are watching my life too.  What does my life look like to them? I am reminded of the utter need to be so dependent upon the $pirit, and in line with His will and purposes in my life, that nothing would hinder me and my walk, or my reflection of the one true G*d. I am reminded that my G*d is alive and active and that my praise and worship is meaningful to Him.  I am reminded that He bends down and listens.  I am reminded that my prayers are not in vain. I am reminded of my own need to trust and honor and worship G*d in reverence and fear. I am reminded that even when I am not CONSTANT, my G*d is.  He is Faithful and True!


Tonight, my stomach is turned as I hear their praises and know the reality of the power they pray to.  Tonight, my eyes are close to tears and my heart heavy.  Tonight, I am reminded of the many ways a Hin*u can teach me about faith, and my prayer and hope is that I would stay so grounded in the light and truth of the Father, that I too can teach a Hin*u about faith. Tonight, I ask that their poojas and prayers would fall null and void to the ground, and that the earth would quake and shake them alive to the reality of the One True King.   Tonight, I ask the Father to gives us more time, and to draw all men unto Himself.  There is still work to be done.  Father, be our constancy and help every Hin*u to see you as their one true King.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bhindi or “Tikka” Mark on the Head- What is it?

But God...

The ugliness I sometimes see