When You Have Tasted and Seen, It Changes Everything

Today, as I sit and reflect on the safety & survival training I had the past few weeks. I am flooded with emotions. One moment I am fine, listening to music and eating my breakfast as normal. In another moment, I am angered by other’s ignorance and complaints at normal daily life. “If you only knew what others have to go through for the sake of the gospel…what others have to do just to stay alive, you would never speak the complaints your tongue has just uttered.”  I think it, but I don’t say it aloud.

In another moment, I see my shoe rack and am excited to be back to my normal life and have my favorite shoes to wear. In the next moment, I am disgusted that I would even think such a thought.  I realize my time in “captivity” was very short lived and nothing in comparison to those that have endured the real thing. How prideful, how ignorant, how selfish we can be as Americans.

I realize that when you have tasted and seen another way, it changes everything.

It reminds me of when I first came back from India after my first stay for a few months. I was angry at the world, angry with people drinking their Starbucks, and people watching Saturday morning cartoons.  “Don’t they know there is more to life than this? Don’t they know how they can help others suffering worlds apart?” I had been warned of this phenomenon, (Stages of Transition Shock) but nothing can really stop its effects on your heart and mind.  When you have tasted and seen… it changes everything. When you see a child chained to a fence so their mother can “work” the line, your eyes don’t forget.  When you have seen a mother lift her dying baby to your hands for help, your heart doesn’t forget.  When you have seen the length of a line of hungry children that your dollar can feed, your pocket does not forget. When you have seen the hope and life Christ can bring to a desperate and hopeless person, you are motivated to action.


I realize my finger pointing and judgment of others who I call “ignorant” is only a reflection of my need to love others more and see them through Christ’s eyes. Who am I to speak? I just got excited bout wearing my “nice” shoes.

But then the thought hit me “taste and see that I am good”.

Psalm 34: 1-14-  I will extol the Lord at all times;
 his praise will always be on my lips. I will glory in the Lord;
 let the afflicted hear and rejoice. Glorify the Lord with me; let us exalt his name together. I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them. Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his holy people, for those who fear him lack nothing. The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord. Whoever of you loves life
 and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil
 and your lips from telling lies. Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

Tasting and seeing is not just about experiencing the negative, it’s about the positive and the glory of God too.  As I sat reflecting today, my heart was stirred to understand the great goodness of my God. Anger is a real response to injustice, disappointment, and heartache. But as I look to God, I can taste and see Him as well. As I focus on God, there in that moment, I am changed.  Just as I can taste and see the realities of life and hardship, so just the same, I can taste and see the goodness of my God.  And there, in that moment with eyes fixed on Him, I can experience His love. His Hope. His mercy. His faithfulness. I can be reminded of all that He is and all that He promises. There in that hope and faith, I am (again) changed and moved to adoration and worship.  I am moved to gratitude for all I have, and all God is showing me.  I am motivated to continue to pursue the call He has placed on my life, no matter the cost, no matter what is lost. I choose Him. I have tasted and seen, and I am changed to press on.

For all those that sit in prison,
For all those that are beaten,
For all those that are suffering,
For all those that are enduring injustice,
For all those that go hungry,
For all those that feel hopeless,
For all those that have never heard the good news,
For all those that are dying without Christ,
I have tasted and seen, and I am praying for you.
In light of God’s glory, I am motived to fight the good fight and advance the gospel.


Philippians 3:7-10-  But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death.

Comments

  1. To a beautiful lady both inside and out,
    I can't thank God enough for when He gave me you not just as a sister in Christ but a friend that has had such a lasting impact on my life.
    I am in awe of the things that God has done in you and through you and will continue to do so.
    Keep fighting the fight!
    Love Always!
    C.S

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bhindi or “Tikka” Mark on the Head- What is it?

But God...

The ugliness I sometimes see